partitioning using dblink

From: Scara Maccai <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: partitioning using dblink
Date: 2008-02-28 20:19:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I started thinking that using dblink I could "easily" get some kind of read only multi-server partitioning, if only VIEWs could be declared with "INHERITS"...

That way I think I could

1) add as many views as the number of DBs as

CREATE VIEW mytable_part_n AS
<SELECT using dblink on remote server_n>
INHERITS mytable

to every DB I have

2) A select on the DB that asks for data on multiple DBs (because it uses data from different partition) would ask the proper data to the proper server...

I think that it would be very nice...
But, since VIEWs can't be declared using INHERITS, that won't work...

Am I wrong?

I know that putting INHERITS and CHECKs on the VIEWs are not a good idea, but I think some method to declare a TABLE as being "remote" would be very cool... I don't know, maybe using a new "storage_parameter"...

L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la nuova Yahoo! Mail: http://it.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html