Re: pgsql: Replace pgindent shell script with Perl script. Update perltidy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Replace pgindent shell script with Perl script. Update perltidy
Date: 2012-08-04 19:40:58
Lists: pgsql-committers

I wrote:
> This version of pgindent is just about completely broken, so far as my
> possibly-a-bit-hoary Perl (5.8.7) is concerned. I think it could be
> made more portable without too much effort, but I am wondering what the
> heck "\h" is supposed to mean in a regex?

After a bit of research I found that \h is a relatively recent
abbreviation for "[ \t]". After making that substitution, and getting
rid of the rather gratuitous use of module Readonly, the script seems
to work OK in a stock Perl 5.8.7 installation.

I'm not sure if we have any project policy for minimum required Perl
version, but I've not found that any of our other Perl scripts don't
work with 5.8. Should I commit these changes, or are you going to
tell me I need a newer Perl? And if the latter, what is our minimum
supported version going to be?