Re: .cvsignore file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .cvsignore file
Date: 2002-10-12 04:56:46
Lists: pgsql-patches

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 00:22, Tom Lane wrote:
>> This strikes me as a bad idea. We use .cvsignore only for files that
>> should survive "make distclean", which the built docs files surely
>> shouldn't.

> Why not ignore the set of compiled files as well? I realize its a much
> larger list, but seems a fairly common thing to do.

Well, exactly, it's a much larger list, and hence a much larger
maintenance effort. If it were near-zero cost to maintain then
I'd be okay with it ... but right now, it seems most reasonable
to expect people to do "make distclean" before they try a "cvs diff".

In practice, you have to be mighty savvy to do "cvs update"s without a
"make distclean" beforehand --- I don't ever risk it myself; the extra
machine cycles for a full rebuild are way cheaper than my time to debug
an incomplete rebuild. So I have little concern for the "cvs diff"
case.