Re: VACUUM and ANALYZE disagreeing on what reltuples means

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM and ANALYZE disagreeing on what reltuples means
Date: 2017-09-24 18:39:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/06/2017 09:45 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com <mailto:tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> On 7/25/17 12:55 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
> <mailto:tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>> writes:
>
> It seems to me that VACUUM and ANALYZE somewhat disagree on what
> exactly reltuples means. VACUUM seems to be thinking that
> reltuples
> = live + dead while ANALYZE apparently believes that reltuples =
> live
>

> The question is - which of the reltuples definitions is the
> right
> one? I've always assumed that "reltuples = live + dead" but
> perhaps
> not?
>

> I think the planner basically assumes that reltuples is the live
> tuple count, so maybe we'd better change VACUUM to get in step.
>

> Attached is a patch that (I think) does just that. The disagreement
> was caused by VACUUM treating recently dead tuples as live, while
> ANALYZE treats both of those as dead.
>
> At first I was worried that this will negatively affect plans in the
> long-running transaction, as it will get underestimates (due to
> reltuples not including rows it can see). But that's a problem we
> already have anyway, you just need to run ANALYZE in the other session.
>

> Thanks for the patch.
> From the mail, I understand that this patch tries to improve the
> reltuples value update in the catalog table by the vacuum command
> to consider the proper visible tuples similar like analyze command.
>
> -num_tuples);
> +num_tuples - nkeep);
>
> With the above correction, there is a problem in reporting the number
> of live tuples to the stats.
>
> postgres=# select reltuples, n_live_tup, n_dead_tup
>               from pg_stat_user_tables join pg_class using (relname)
>              where relname = 't';
>  reltuples | n_live_tup | n_dead_tup
> -----------+------------+------------
>     899818 |     799636 |     100182
> (1 row)
>

> The live tuples data value is again decremented with dead tuples
> value before sending them to stats in function lazy_vacuum_rel(),
>
> /* report results to the stats collector, too */
> new_live_tuples = new_rel_tuples - vacrelstats->new_dead_tuples;
>
> The fix needs a correction here also. Or change the correction in
> lazy_vacuum_rel() function itself before updating catalog table similar
> like stats.

Ah, haven't noticed that for some reason - you're right, we estimate the
reltuples based on (num_tuples - nkeep), so it doesn't make much sense
to subtract nkeep again. Attached is v2 of the fix.

I've removed the subtraction from lazy_vacuum_rel(), leaving just

new_live_tuples = new_rel_tuples;

and now it behaves as expected (no second subtraction). That means we
can get rid of new_live_tuples altogether (and the protection against
negative values), and use new_rel_tuples directly.

Which pretty much means that in this case

(pg_class.reltuples == pg_stat_user_tables.n_live_tup)

but I guess that's fine, based on the initial discussion in this thread.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
vacuum-reltuples-fix-v2.patch text/x-patch 1.3 KB