Re: Permission denied for sequence

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: "Hackenberg, Rick" <Rick(dot)Hackenberg(at)primedia(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Permission denied for sequence
Date: 2007-05-31 21:04:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On May 31, 2007, at 14:53 , Hackenberg, Rick wrote:

> I am currently having a problem with an application that has been
> working fine for the past few months. Whenever I try to add a new
> entry into a table I receive the following message:
>
> ERROR: permission denied for sequnce contractid
Please make sure you're providing the exact error message (i.e., copy
& paste).

Assuming you have a DEFAULT nextvai(contractid) on some column in the
table, you need UPDATE permissions on the sequence to use nextval.
See the GRANT documention page:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-grant.html

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net