Encoding problems

From: "Bjarni Ragnarsson" <bjarnir(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Encoding problems
Date: 2007-03-22 13:07:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi everyone.

I have some encoding problems like many others.

I'm using Python (and Django) with my PostgreSQL 8.2 and pgAdmin
1.6.2 on Windows XP Pro. The default encoding here in Iceland is
win1252. I have a database with that encoding.

The problem is that pgAdmin seems to use utf8 no matter what I do.
The data seems to be stored correctly when entered via a web-page, but
when displayed via pgAdmin it's corrupted (that is the special
characters don't show correctly). pgAdmin seems to presume the data
is in utf8 format despite the database settings. Entering data via
pgAdmin results in corrupted data on the web likewise.

Is this a bug or is there some setting I've overlooked?