Re: Pet Peeves?

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-02-08 02:57:16
Lists: pgsql-general

> * Letter options in psql, pg_dump[all], pg_restore aren't consistent
> and can easily steer you very wrong. I'm looking at you, -d.

Amen!

> So, what do people say? Is Postgres perfect in your world or does
> it do some things which rub you the wrong way?

You can check the archives for more things I've found annoying in the past,
but might as well put out a quick list here for posterity:

* We're using md5 as the default hash function. Lame.

* We don't have any other builtin encryption/hash stuff other than md5.

* Many more things should be built-in, rather than as contrib or worse. Make them
'installable' like procedural languages if you must, but they have to go in
easier.

* pgfoundry is still a mess. 'nuff said.

* We lost years worth of community shared knowledge when planetpostgresql went down
and the owner won't let people restore their links (e.g. a simple Apache redirect).

* psql is not backwards compatible

* In-place upgrade. Regular dump/restore could be better too.

* The resistance to changing the name officially back to "Postgres".

* The way patches must often be fought for before acceptance.

* The community is scared of change. Exhibit A: git

* Lack of pragmatism at times: real-world DBA work vs. ivory tower pontification.

* Deferred constraints

* psql doesn't do multi-line readline

* The horrible defaults in postgresql.conf

* The horrible commenting in postgresql.conf

* The crappy 8kb GUC unit sizes

* Slow pace of libpq: no binary, no partial result sets

* Logging could be a lot more flexible and fine-grained. Imagine being able to
have slow queries from database X go to a separate log file.

* Horrible bike shedding and making simple solutions complicated.

* Would like to see information_schema expanded.

- --
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200902072156