Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2010-01-02 12:13:01
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 18:06, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I don't really see pgFoundry maintenance as something requiring a lot
>> of time. Am I wrong?
>
> Given that people say it's only time that has kept us from upgrading
> it to a non-ancient version, and that we have been talking about said
> upgrade for many years now, yes, I think you are wrong. It may not
> require a lot of time, but it requires significantly more time than
> anybody is willing to invest.

I still think the major part of the problem is that pgFoundry was
implemented outside the web/sysadmin teams, and had exactly zero
documentation, yet when something goes wrong, it's one of us that ends
up trying to resolve the problems with little clue about how it all
works.

With Guillaume re-building the entire VM from the ground up, fully
involving the sysadmin team and doing so within our management
processes, I for one will feel far more confident about managing it as
'just another VM'.

Which reminds, me - I need to do a bunch of VM upgrades...

--
Dave Page