Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2009-12-28 20:04:05
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Guillaume Smet
<guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> That's really not a option. Wholesale reorganisation of the FTP will
>> cause a world of pain for people with scripts such as Devrim's.
>
> Could you elaborate on these scripts? What do they do and what are
> they used for? IIRC, Devrim doesn't use the mirror URI for his
> pgFoundry RPM packages.

Well, anyone with build scripts that access stuff on the pgfoundry
directory hierarchy. We simply don't know how many people it might
affect, any more than some changes we might make in the server where
we go out of our way to maintain compatibility.

> The mirror exposes the internal structure of the file repository of
> GForge. It's really a matter of interface in the OO programming way.
> This method is private and they decided to change the implementation a
> long time ago, the public method to access the files haven't changed
> and is stable.
>
> If we really want it, we can decide to keep the old structure but we
> may have problems from time to time if people want to upload a file
> with the same name in another release/package (and it's one more
> patch).

We mirrored the internal structure (and then moved a bunch of
downloads so they didn't point to pgfoundry) because gforge was a
bottleneck for things like installers which can clock up tens of
thousands of downloads per week.

I don't recall anyone ever complaining that they couldn't have
multiple files with the same name on pgFoundry (frankly, it sounds
like a recipe for disaster), but I can envisage the structure change
causing pain for people.

--
Dave Page