Re: One question on the Restore window

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: One question on the Restore window
Date: 2009-12-22 09:39:42
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I worked today on the restore window. I added all the missing options
> (with a release check for some of them), and I added sizers to have a
> good UI. You can see the result in the screenshots attached (from
> frmRestore_1.png to frmRestore_3.png).
>
> I have some problems with the UI of the backup TOC. I want to allow
> users to restore only some selected objects of the backup. Right now,
> the restore window allows only to restore one object, even if you
> selected more than one. So I try to find a good UI for this. I see two
> ways for doing it:
>
>  * Keep the list, adding checkbox (see frmRestore_5.png).
>  * Replace the list with a tree (see frmRestore_4.png).
>
> The tree is more appealing, really simple to understand. Anyone who used
> the backup window can use the restore window... Well, not really. If a
> user wants to restore some tables but not the schema, he needs to
> unselect the schema, and then to select the tables. It feels a bit
> awkward to see the schema not selected when some of its own tables are.
> Moreover, the list is really simpler to remember the order of the
> objects (the tree kind of destroys the order). But this is not really
> important. I'm much more bothered with the fact that we can have some
> tables selected and that the schema they belong to is not.

Following the design of the backup window is preferrable certainly.
I'm not sure I'm too worried about the selection issue - most people
will never use it I imagine, and if they do, they probably only want
to restore a small number of tables, so deselecting the schema gives
them a blank list to do that.

--
Dave Page