Re: Desktop and xpm file in Centos 5 compile

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Rudi Schmitz <rudischmitz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Desktop and xpm file in Centos 5 compile
Date: 2009-09-17 07:34:59
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Rudi Schmitz <rudischmitz(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am trying to figure out what files I need to edit to get the
> pgadmin3.desktop file to install under gnome (/usr/share/application) when I
> am compiling my own pgadmin centos rpm.
> I have all the necessary dependencies for pgadmin installed.
>
> Here are the steps I take.
>
> 1. svn co svn://svn.pgadmin.org/trunk/pgadmin3 pgadmin3
> 2. cd pgadmin3
> 3. bash bootstrap
> 4. ./configure
> 5. make
> 6. checkinstall -R make install
>

> Checkinstall makes the rpm fine but it does not put in the .desktop file
> under /usr/share/applications.
>
> If on step 6, I just do a "make install" it doesn't copy over the .desktop
> file either, so it's not checkinstall causing this.

I'm not familiar with checkinstall, but the pgAdmin build system makes
no attempt to install the .desktop file. When it was added to the
tree, the XDG specs weren't widely followed so it's inclusion was
largely a convenience for anyone that wanted it. Nowadays, if someone
wanted to spend some time fixing the build system to install the file
and icon etc, I'd have no objections - pkg/Makefile.am would be the
place to start.

--
Dave Page