Re: reconnecting to DB after connection break

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Julius Tuskenis <julius(dot)tuskenis(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reconnecting to DB after connection break
Date: 2009-08-23 11:08:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Julius
Tuskenis<julius(dot)tuskenis(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking of changing pgAdmin so it would try to reconnect after its
> connection to server breaks. Is that ok with you? Maybe theres someone
> already dealing with the problem.

It's a TODO, but I don't think anyone is working on it.

> I think I could change pgConn::ExecuteVoid, pgConn::ExecuteScalar and
> pgConn::ExecuteSet methods so on connection to DB error there would be an
> attempt to reconnect. If someone knows a better solution - please, share it.
> :)

That probably isn't the place to do it though - at least without other
work. If it's done at that low level, you a) need to find a clean way
of communicating to the user what is going on, from non-UI code, and
b) need to ensure that all the different parts of the code (browser,
query tool, debugger, edit grid etc) will behave sanely if presented
with a connection that's been reconnected automatically.

It would probably be easier to handle the reconnection in those places
instead, where you can more easily determine what is or isn't an
appropriate action in the face of a lost connection.

--
Dave Page