Re: Step by step and thorough pgadmin/postgresql documentation

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Marcin Stępnicki <mstepnicki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gerhard Botha <gbotha(at)winder(dot)co(dot)za>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Step by step and thorough pgadmin/postgresql documentation
Date: 2009-03-05 09:12:15
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Marcin Stępnicki <mstepnicki(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Go to File/Options/Preferences and turn on "Show users for
> privileges". This should be default in my opinion.

No it shouldn't. In most cases if you're configuring permissions for
individual users then you're setting yourself up for future pain and
suffering.

Setup your permissions for group roles, and then add user roles to
those groups. Then if you have staff turnover, or decide you want to
use different user accounts for each of your webservers that access
the database or whatever, instead of having to recreate a complex set
of permissions for each new user, you simply add them to the
appropriate groups.

--
Dave Page