Re: PATCH: Column Level Privileges

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Column Level Privileges
Date: 2009-01-30 17:23:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Ashesh Vashi
<ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please find the patch for Column Level Privileges support.
> I have also attached some of the test-cases for it.

Hi Ashesh,

Couple of minor issues/questions:

- Why didn't you derive the dialog from dlgSecurityProperty? I assume
it would have been too messy as it's already derived from
dlgTypeProperty?

- As a general rule, we disable controls not relevant to a particular
version of Postgres. We should do the same with this tab - disable the
controls rather than hide them on servers < 8.4.

- Can we lose the comment above the column permissions in the reverse
engineered SQL please? We don't add similar ones for other additional
queries so we shouldn't here (though perhaps in the future we might
add such comments everywhere that is appropriate).

- Not just an issue with your code, but also the existing privilege
tabs - could you please tweak the column sizes of the list control
such that the headers can be read by default?

Thanks!

--
Dave Page