Re: PATCH: Limit 100 default in frmEditGrid.cpp

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Matteo Bertini" <matteo(at)naufraghi(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: Limit 100 default in frmEditGrid.cpp
Date: 2009-01-12 09:49:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Matteo Bertini <matteo(at)naufraghi(dot)net> wrote:
> I propose a small patch to frmEditGrid.cpp that changes the default limit
> form "No limit" to "100 rows".

I'm not sure that's something we want to change - I don't recall it
ever being requested before, and personally I think I'd find it
annoying.

What I would be happier with is a drop-down menu on the View Data
button which gave access to the different options as the context menu
does. The button itself would then run the last option selected from
the drop-down menu (exactly as the plugins button does).

> Another option, more coherent in design to the rest of the program, can be
> disabling automatic run and let the user configure the option before. I
> think there are a small number of forms that are performing long operation
> at the show time without the explicit user action.

Eh? There s an explicit user action - you clicked 'View Data'

> Besides usability, the problem I found is a segfault happening when the
> table is huge (mine is 14e6 records) and the frmEditGrid is closed before
> the load is complete. In my configuration the crash is reproducible with
> version 1.8.4 and trunk.

Can you get a backtrace from the crash?

--
Dave Page