Re: extending functionality strategy

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extending functionality strategy
Date: 2008-10-17 05:14:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl> wrote:
>> Can you describe this in more detail? We can already manage
>
> It was late last night. I will try to explain it better.
>
>> and create types in pgAdmin (albeit our support for complex
>> types requiring an initial 'shell' type is somewhat lacking).
>
> I was playing with GQD and got this idea to have a similar functionality
> except instead of generating a SELECT statement, to generate a CREATE TYPE
>
> Looking at the current type creator:
>
> 1) Perhaps it could be extended with an additional tab where one is able to
> click and select table columns.

To use as a template? That's not really functionality for the
straightforward properties dialogue though.

> 2) Like the GQD add column ordering to the Definition tab for rearranging.

For consistency, we'd have to add similar buttons to a whole bunch of
other places.

> 3) I haven't given this much thought but yet another idea is to create a
> type based on a SELECT statement. (have something similar in C#)

Most of what you propose would not be implemented in the type dialogue
itself, but would be something for a wizard - but I don't think there
are enough people who actually create types in pgAdmin to justify the
effort - espcially as once we create oe wizard such as this, it pretty
much implies we will have to create others as we move forward.

Now if you implemented it as a Python based plugin, that would perhaps
be a different matter (but would of course, require the plugin
architecture to be built!)

--
Dave Page