Re: A couple of patches, and other observations on pgadmin3

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "David Sainty" <david(dot)sainty(at)dtsp(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A couple of patches, and other observations on pgadmin3
Date: 2008-09-25 08:39:14
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 7:58 AM, David Sainty <david(dot)sainty(at)dtsp(dot)co(dot)nz> wrote:
> Hi pgadmin3,
>
> There are a couple of places where variables look like they should be const.
> On my system, pgadmin3 will not build without these changes, bombing out
> with:
>
> error: invalid conversion from 'const wxChar*' to 'wxChar*'
>
> I should note that I'm using other hackery to allow a build with a
> non-Unicode wxGTK (2.8). It appears (from Google) that this kind of build
> failure only happens with non-Unicode wxGTK - though I can't imagine why
> that would be!

That change you suggest will cause a compiler error on Unicode builds
- and as that's the only type of build we support I'm don't want to
#ifdef it into the code without resurrecting the old non-unicode
support (which I don't want to do).

> I have to ask, why are you installing files world writable? (
> http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?rev=7141&view=rev )
>
> Surely it's better to not install the cache file at all? Presumably it's an
> optional file, given the filename!

wxWidgets will try to write the cache on first use of the helpfile
regardless of what we do (and error if it cannot). Making the file
world-writable is preferrable to the directory.

--
Dave Page