Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling SQL text field in the SQL tab of object dialog
Date: 2008-06-14 20:09:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

> Finally, here is the prototype. As I first talked about this one year ago, I
> will summarize the idea : adding a checkbox on the SQL tab of an object's
> properties to let the user change the SQL query. Checking will disable the
> contents of the other tabs because we don't want to try to reverse engineer
> the user's changes.
>
> So, here is the patch that does this. I'm sure there's work left to do (most
> notably some duplicate code) but, at least, it works for me on two different
> scenarios : changing the SQL query and adding another SQL query.

I haven't tested yet (just reviewed the diff), but a couple of
thoughts come to mind:

- Can we disable the controls on the form, rather than the tabs so the
user can still browse the object details after modfying the SQL? (Or
does disabling the tab effectively do that?). The downside of that is
that we'd need to keep track of which controls were already disabled
when we disable them all, so if re-enabling them we end up in the
original state. I realise this is not what I suggested previously.

- Before returning to GUI mode, we should warn the user (if he has
modified the SQL) that his changes will be lost. Of he accepts the
change, the SQL should be regenerated immediately.

So, before I test this on my lapdog, I'm sure we all want to know -
did anything actually explode?

--
Dave Page