Re: multithreading

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Anton Melser" <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multithreading
Date: 2008-06-10 15:06:12
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Anton Melser <melser(dot)anton(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2008/6/10 Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>:
>> The restore runs in an entirely separate process from pgAdmin, and
>> doesn't stop you continuing to work whilst it runs (at least in my
>> limited testing here). Maybe you're seeing some platform-specific
>> quirk - what version are you running on what platform?
>
> Um... not on either Windows XP or Windows Server 2008 Standard
> (finally a decent desktop!)... pgadmin stays "not responding" for the
> entire restore. And yes, it's 1.8.4.

I was testing on XP. In further testing, I find that a restore using
the 'clean' option (new in SVN trunk) for some reason doesn't lock up
the UI as other restores do (which are blocking whilst trying to read
from the pg_restore stderr/stdout streams) . I cannot see any clear
reason for this behaviour.

A 'real' fix would probably involve firing off
ExternProcessDialog::checkStreams() from a separate thread, rather
than a timer in the main thread, though it would be nice to understand
why it blocks in some cases but not others. Anyone with time to try
that?

--
Dave Page