Re: Getting the command line to work

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Paul Jordan" <pjordan(at)oxy(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting the command line to work
Date: 2008-05-21 18:05:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Paul Jordan <pjordan(at)oxy(dot)edu> wrote:
> Hi. Perhaps this isn't the proper place to send this, but it's the only
> address I have. I've installed postgres and I'm trying to use the command
> prompt to create a database (PGAdmin III having failed miserably at the
> task).

Please define "failed miserably". pgAdmin should only ever fail if you
have a problem such as lack of privileges or disk space or similar,
and then should give you an appropriate error message.

> The documentation I'm working with, created by people I trust know
> what they're doing, says that I should enter the following:
>
> "createdb qf_local -U postgres -W -h localhost"

Unfortunately it seems they don't know what they're doing. Try:

createdb -U postgres -W -h localhost qf_local

Per the docs at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/app-createdb.html

--
Dave Page