Re: BUG #3953: No PostGIS option in installer

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: ChrisWebster <cwebster(at)tyadar(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3953: No PostGIS option in installer
Date: 2008-04-12 14:23:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM, ChrisWebster <cwebster(at)tyadar(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> Anybody got a meaningful response from EnterpriseDB on this one?

I'm unclear why you think this would get a response from EnterpriseDB?
The reported bug was that there is no PostGIS option in the PostgreSQL
8.3 installer, which is correct - it's been made into a StackBuilder
component.

> I just installed EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.3 on Windows using EDB;s
> MSI installer. Despite all the claims on the EDB website about built-in
> PostGIS support, PostGIS does not appear to be installed by default with EDB
> 8.3, unlike EDB 8.2.

Are you sure that is what you installed? Advanced Server doesn't use
an MSI installer, it has an InstallShield Java based one. The standard
server from EnterpriseDB (known now as Postgres Plus) does use an MSI
installer - perhaps you have that?

> I'm hoping to use EDB 8.3 for a demo project, but I don't want my users to
> have to install/compile PostGIS themselves, so is there an EDB 8.3 Windows
> variant that actually does what it's supposed to and installs PostGIS
> support automatically?

Both Postgres Plus and Postgres Plus Advanced Server ship with PostGIS
on all platforms. In the Advanced Server product it's in a directory
called 'spatial' under the installation directory (if memory serves -
I don't work with AS much). On the standard product it's installed
automatically in the main directory tree for the server.

If you definitely are working with an EnterpriseDB product, and not
community Postgres which this thread started out about, a better place
to ask questions would be the EnterpriseDB forums:
http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/list.page

--
Dave Page