Re: Column Names while copying from EditGrid

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Robins Tharakan" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column Names while copying from EditGrid
Date: 2008-03-14 09:26:59
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While copying data from EditGrid, I see that the column names are not
> copied. This makes the data extremely ambiguous to use when pasting directly
> into excel or a similar spreadsheet application. Attached is a patch which
> prepends the column names in select cases of data copy from the EditGrid.
>
> Cases when the column names are prepended to the dataset:
> 1. Selection of the complete Grid
> 2. Selection of one (or more) columns
> 3. Selection of all the columns of one (or more rows)
>
> Case when the column names are not prepended:
> 1. Selection of columns less than the max number of columns. i.e. any subset
> of the data-set when a complete row / column is not selected, would have
> only data and not the respective column names.

I'm not happy with the 'rules' that govern this - it seems a prime
case for user confusion.

I would suggest that we add options (to frmOptions) to include column
(and row?) headers when data is copied from either the Edit Grid or
the Query Tool. That way the user can choose whether or not they get
headers.

> p.s.: I hope my fixation for EditGrid isn't becoming a problem :)

Not at all - please keep it up :-)

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com