Re: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group
Date: 2008-01-14 10:41:00
Lists: pgeu-general

On 14/01/2008, damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info> wrote:

> Just to clarify things up : PostgreSQLFr is not a regional group.
>
> It is the association of the **french speaking** users of PostgreSQL.
> This includes people living outside of Europe ( Canada, West Africa, etc. )
>
> So automatic membership of the PG-FR members into PG-EU seems difficult to me.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that (I wonder how many others aren't either?).
I don't think distinguishing between European and non-European users
should be a problem though - heck, we're a DBMS project; that's
exactly the sort of thing we do! :-)

> For the moment, only the Italians have a regional group with a registered
> association and i don't see many other regional associations coming off the
> ground.

I think thats the point though - that a regional group doesn't have to
be registered as a legal entity.

When we originally worked on setting up the global group, we setup the
PostgreSQL Foundation with the aim of becoming a 501.3c legal entity
(US-speak for non-profit). For various reasons that I won't go into
here that didn't work, so instead, we joined SPI and now use their
services. That's why I mentioned banking/legal services as something
we offer to regional groups - we can handle their banking for them
until they decide to spend the time and effort to become a legal
entity in their own right.

Regards, Dave