Re: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Purpose of the European PostgreSQL Group
Date: 2008-01-14 10:21:28
Lists: pgeu-general

On 14/01/2008, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de> wrote:
> Another idea: no membership fee for persons at all.
> No regional association has to pay for members. This fee should not be
> so much money anyway, so i think, we can live with this option.
> In this case we also don't discriminate local groups because not every
> country has a group.

I don't object to having no membership fee.

> > Users in countries with a regional group that is part of PG-EU, must
> > join that group through which they can participate in PG-EU.
>
> As long as they can be member in the EU group, i don't see a problem
> here.

Right - this is the key point to avoid the possibility of confusion or
competition I was worried about. To clarify my thinking:

- If there is a local user group, you must join that, which
automatically gets you membership in PG-EU.

- If there is no local group, you may join PG-EU directly.

So, if you live in France, you can *only* join PostgreSQLFr, but in
doing so, you also become a member of PG-EU.

If you live in Portugal, you have no local group, therefore join PG-EU directly.

I would then expect that PG-EU would help and encourage direct members
to form their own regional groups in the long term.

> Seems like we have an agreement here.

Thats what I like to hear :-)

/D