Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes
Date: 2008-01-14 00:06:24
Lists: pgeu-general

On 13/01/2008, damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info> wrote:
> Le Monday 14 January 2008 00:16:39 Dave Page, vous avez écrit:
> > > - What about elections, does a country like france now has one
> > > single vote or has every .fr member a vote for eu elections?
> >
> > One simple answer is that PostgreSQLFr pay a small percentage of each
> > members fee for a group membership in PG-EU. Their board are then
> > awarded that number of votes in PG-EU matters.
>
> I'm sure but i think this is not possible under the french law. I think there
> is no alternative to the rule "1 member = 1 vote".

Well thats another perfectly good option that won't force PG-EU to
operate as a user group within France. We would just say that every
member of a organisation that is itself a member of PG-EU is entitled
to vote in PG-EU matters.

> I think it is dangerous when the number of votes depends on the money you
> give. Actually what happens if a company comes, pays the same amount that
> PostgreSQLFr and then ask for the same number of voices ?

That's *not* what I was suggesting. I was suggesting that a member
organisations fee's are based on the number of members it has, and
that it gets a single vote for each member. The only difference to 1
member == 1 vote would be that the board of the member organisation
decide how the members votes be cast - similar to the way our
governments vote on our behalf in EU matters (but without the
convoluted way of calculating how many votes each country gets).

Regards, Dave