Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps

From: "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Sam Mason" <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dynamic Partitioning using Segment Visibility Maps
Date: 2008-01-04 07:36:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Simon,
Looks like a novel idea. I just want to confirm my
understanding of the proposal.
a) This proposal would work for the kind of table organizations which are
currently partitioned and maintained based on some kind of timestamp.
Consider one of the use-case. A large Retail firm has a lot of stores. DBA
maintains and updates the inventories of those stores in hash-partitions
based on store-no. As the inventory gets updated, the corresponding
partition receives the update and it goes like that..
Here all the partitions are going to get constantly updated. So no
partition can possibly become a read only partition. You have clearly called
it out in your para. i am just re-confirming on that. Or do you have
something for this in your soln.?

To my limited experience, most partition strategies are based on some form
of time-stamp. If the proposed soln. can cater to those, it has lot of
use-cases.

Thanks,
Gokul.