Re: Problem about connecting PostgreSQL through TCP/IP

From: Hui Chen <gray(dot)chenhui(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: shadowbox <percy(dot)deleon(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem about connecting PostgreSQL through TCP/IP
Date: 2005-08-17 15:32:26
Lists: pgsql-php

Hello,

Very good point. But did configure the PHP with pgsql support. In
fact, I can successfully connect the postgresql server over
UNIX-domain socket, e.g., this code below uses the UNIX-domain socket
since I do not have include "host" and "port" in "pg_connect" function
call,
<?php
$conn = pg_connect("dbname=foodb user=foo password=foo") or die
("Can not connect to postgres");
$result=pg_exec("SELECT * FROM footbl");
$fetch = pg_fetch_row($result);
print "<html><body>";
print $fetch[0];
print "<body></html>";
pg_close($conn); // Close this connection
?>
This code produced the expected result. However, when "host" and
"port" were given, the connection failed. What I can conclude is,
1) PHP was successfully configured with postgresql support. PHP
connected the database server UNIX-domain socket without any problem;
However, PHP could not establish connection with the database server
over TCP/IP
2) It seemed the database server accepted TCP/IP connection since I
could locate an entry in the database log file when a telnet attempt
at port 5432 was issued.
3) PHP did not pass the connection to the database at all because I
did not see any entry for the failed connection in the database log
file.
Am I getting it correctly? How should I do?

Thanks a lot!

Gray