Re: WIP: Relaxing the constraints on numeric scale

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Relaxing the constraints on numeric scale
Date: 2021-07-23 15:50:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> All your other suggestions make sense too. Attached is a new version.

OK, I've now studied this more closely, and have some additional
nitpicks:

* I felt the way you did the documentation was confusing. It seems
better to explain the normal case first, and then describe the two
extended cases.

* As long as we're encapsulating typmod construction/extraction, let's
also encapsulate the checks for valid typmods.

* Other places are fairly careful to declare typmod values as "int32",
so I think this code should too.

Attached is a proposed delta patch making those changes.

(I made the docs mention that the extension cases are allowed as of v15.
While useful in the short run, that will look like noise in ten years;
so I could go either way on whether to do that.)

If you're good with these, then I think it's ready to go.
I'll mark it RfC in the commitfest.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
numeric-scale-v3-delta.patch text/x-diff 7.9 KB