Re: Configuration on CentOS 4.6

From: Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuration on CentOS 4.6
Date: 2008-04-29 01:21:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Phillip Smith <phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

> > For example, there's no pg_hba.config and there's no
> directory /pgsql/data
> anywhere to put one in.
>
> You need to run initdb which will generate those files with
> default content.
>
> I'm not sure where CentOS / RedHat puts them by default (I
> compile from
> source) but at a guess:
> /usr/local/postgres/bin/initdb -D /path/to/database/files/
> databasename
>
> Run that as the postgres user.
> /path/to/database/files/ is where you want to put the files.
> It does not
> need to exist already as initdb will create it. Depends how
> CentOS / RedHat
> have setup the package, but it would possible default to
> /usr/local/postgres/data/ I think.

Thanks very much. That worked.

I was trying to use createdb and getting the message "user
doesn't exist." Previously when I installed postgresql, I also
compiled it from source and had no problem creating a db and
getting it running. For some reason, trying to step in in the
middle of the process got me hung up

Sincerely,
Bruce

Be a better friend, newshound, and