Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records
Date: 2023-07-10 07:44:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/04/2023 01:29, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Thanks for your help with the follow-up work. Seems like we're done
> with this now.

This is still listed in the July commitfest; is there some work remaining?

I'm late to the party, but regarding commit c03c2eae0a, which added the
guidelines for writing formatting desc functions:

You moved the comment from rmgrdesc_utils.c into rmgrdesc_utils.h, but I
don't think that was a good idea. Our usual convention is to have the
function comment in the .c file, not at the declaration in the header
file. When I want to know what a function does, I jump to the .c file,
and might miss the comment in the header entirely.

Let's add a src/backend/access/rmgrdesc/README file. We don't currently
have any explanation anywhere why the rmgr desc functions are in a
separate directory. The README would be a good place to explain that,
and to have the formatting guidelines. See attached.

--
Heikki Linnakangas
Neon (https://neon.tech)

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Add-rmgrdesc-README.patch text/x-patch 6.7 KB