Re: viewing source code

From: "Trevor Talbot" <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>, "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bill Moran" <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: viewing source code
Date: 2007-12-20 18:47:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 12/20/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Roberts, Jon wrote:

> > This really is a needed feature to make PostgreSQL more attractive to
> > businesses. A more robust security model that better follows commercial
> > products is needed for adoption.

> I would argue that commercial products need to get a clue and stop
> playing bondage with their users to help stop their imminent and frankly
> obvious downfall from the Open Source competition.

I'm still not seeing where your comments are actually coming from, and
I can't decipher your argument as a result. Exactly what is it about
fine-grained security controls that is "playing bondage with their
users"?

> This "feature" as it is called can be developed externally and has zero
> reason to exist within PostgreSQL. If the feature has the level of
> demand that people think that it does, then the external project will be
> very successful and that's cool.

I'm unsure of what you consider "external" here. Is SE-PostgreSQL the
type of thing you mean?