Re: Retrieving last InsertedID : INSERT... RETURNING safe ?

From: "Paul Tomblin" <ptomblin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Retrieving last InsertedID : INSERT... RETURNING safe ?
Date: 2008-02-20 14:03:14
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Feb 20, 2008 8:50 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Paul Tomblin wrote:

> >> Now you lost me. By asynchronous events, do you mean NOTIFY/LISTEN? What
> >> exactly is the scenario you're talking about?
> >
> > In my case, we're talking about a system that has dozens of Java
> > processes, many of which access the database. Because the system used
> > to have autocommit on, one process could do the "insert nextval" and
> > commit, and then another process could do an "insert nextval" and
> > commit, and then the first process would do the "select currval" and
> > would probably get the wrong value.
>
> From Dave's comment, I gather that those processes return the
> connection to the pool and grab a new one between the "insert nextval"
> and "select currval" steps? Yeah, I can see the problem in that case.

No, there is no connection pooling yet. I'm working on that for the
release after this one.

Like I said, I was operating under the assumption that
nextval/currval was bound to the transaction, not to the connection.
I guess I was wrong.

Be that as it may, I still don't see what you gain by doing
insert ... (nextval('idseq'),...
select currval('idseq');
when you could do
select nextval('idseq');
insert ...(?,...

--
For my assured failures and derelictions I ask pardon beforehand of my
betters and my equals in my Calling here assembled, praying that in