rules and command status question

From: "Josh Harrison" <joshques(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: rules and command status question
Date: 2007-09-25 13:19:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
I have a question in the postgres document chapter 34. Rules and Command
Status.
The last paragraph of that page says that

"The programmer can ensure that any desired INSTEAD rule is the one that
sets the command status in the second case, by giving it the alphabetically
last rule name among the active rules, so that it gets applied last."

Can someone help me understand what this means. How can I change my INSERT
...INSTEAD rule so that query returns the number of rows inserted ( instead
of 0 rows inserted).

Thanks in advance
Josh