Re: [UNVERIFIED SENDER] Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "[pgdg] Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [UNVERIFIED SENDER] Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Date: 2021-06-22 10:38:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Andres,

On 6/14/21 7:41 AM, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> [...]
>>> think we might be able to live with 10s delay issue for one release,
>>> but
>>> it sure is ugly :(.
>> This is indeed pretty painful. It's a lot more regularly occuring if you
>> either have a slot disk, or you switch around the order of
>> WakeupRecovery() and WalSndWakeup() XLogWalRcvFlush().
>>
>> - There's about which timeline to use. If you use pg_recvlogical and you
>>    restart the server, you'll see errors like:
>>
>>    pg_recvlogical: error: unexpected termination of replication
>> stream: ERROR:  requested WAL segment 000000000000000000000003 has
>> already been removed
>>
>>    the real filename is 000000010000000000000003 - i.e. the timeline is
>>    0.
>>
>>    This isn't too hard to fix, but definitely needs fixing.
>
> Thanks, nice catch!
>
> From what I have seen, we are not going through InitXLOGAccess() on a
> Standby and in some cases (like the one you mentioned)
> StartLogicalReplication() is called without IdentifySystem() being
> called previously: this lead to ThisTimeLineID still set to 0.
>
> I am proposing a fix in the attached v18 by adding a check in
> StartLogicalReplication() and ensuring that ThisTimeLineID is retrieved.
>

>> - ResolveRecoveryConflictWithLogicalSlots() is racy - potentially
>>    leading us to drop a slot that has been created since we signalled a
>>    recovery conflict.  See
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210408020913.zzprrlvqyvlt5cyy%40alap3.anarazel.de
>>    for some very similar issues.
>
> I have rewritten this part by following the same logic as the one used
> in 96540f80f8 (the commit linked to the thread you mentioned).
>

>> - Given the precedent of max_slot_wal_keep_size, I think it's wrong to
>>    just drop the logical slots. Instead we should just mark them as
>>    invalid, like InvalidateObsoleteReplicationSlots().
>
> Makes fully sense and done that way in the attached patch.
>
> I am setting the slot's data.xmin and data.catalog_xmin as
> InvalidTransactionId to mark the slot(s) as invalid in case of conflict.
>
>> - There's no tests covering timeline switches, what happens if there's a
>>    promotion if logical decoding is currently ongoing.
>
> I'll now work on the tests.
>

>> - The way ResolveRecoveryConflictWithLogicalSlots() builds the error
>>    message is not good (and I've complained about it before...).
>
> I changed it and made it more simple.
>
> I also removed the details around mentioning xmin or catalog xmin (as
> I am not sure of the added value and they are currently also not
> mentioned during standby recovery snapshot conflict).
>

>> Unfortunately I think the things I have found are too many for me to
>> address within the given time. I'll send a version with a somewhat
>> polished set of the changes I made in the next few days...
>
> Thanks for the review and feedback.
>
> Please find enclosed v18 with the changes I worked on.
>
> I still need to have a look on the tests.

Please find enclosed v19 that also contains the changes related to your
TAP tests remarks, mainly:

- get rid of 024 and add more tests in 026 (025 has been used in the
meantime)

- test that logical decoding actually produces useful and correct results

- test standby promotion and logical decoding behavior once done

- useless "use" removal

- check_confl_logicalslot() function removal

- rewrote make_slot_active() to make use of poll_query_until() and timeout

- remove the useless eval()

- remove the "Catalog xmins should advance after standby logical slot
fetches the changes" test

One thing that's not clear to me is your remark "There's also no test
for a recovery conflict due to row removal": Don't you think that the
"vacuum full" conflict test is enough? if not, what kind of additional
tests would you like to see?

> There is also the 10s delay to work on, do you already have an idea on
> how we should handle it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bertrand

Thanks

Bertrand

Attachment Content-Type Size
v19-0005-Doc-changes-describing-details-about-logical-dec.patch text/plain 2.1 KB
v19-0004-New-TAP-test-for-logical-decoding-on-standby.patch text/plain 16.9 KB
v19-0003-Allow-logical-decoding-on-standby.patch text/plain 17.2 KB
v19-0002-Handle-logical-slot-conflicts-on-standby.patch text/plain 29.3 KB
v19-0001-Add-info-in-WAL-records-in-preparation-for-logic.patch text/plain 18.0 KB