Connecting to the database server

From: LWATCDR <lwatcdr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Connecting to the database server
Date: 2008-01-11 16:22:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

I think I got the data moved over from my old server. Now I am trying
to connect to the server with pgadminIII
I went into the postgers.conf and made these the changes I thought I
needed for me to log on and I did a restart but it is still telling me
that it can not connect.
Also I am getting a problem when I try to install the pg-DBD from yum.
I probably just need to go perl to install that I hope.

# - Connection Settings -

listen_addresses = '*' # what IP address(es) to listen on;
# comma-separated list of addresses;
# defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
# (change requires restart)
port = 5432 # (change requires restart)
max_connections = 100 # (change requires restart)
# Note: increasing max_connections costs ~400 bytes of shared memory per
# connection slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction). You
# might also need to raise shared_buffers to support more connections.
#superuser_reserved_connections = 3 # (change requires restart)
#unix_socket_directory = '' # (change requires restart)
#unix_socket_group = '' # (change requires restart)
unix_socket_permissions = 0777 # octal
# (change requires restart)
#bonjour_name = '' # defaults to the computer name
# (change requires restart)

# - Security & Authentication -

#authentication_timeout = 1min # 1s-600s
#ssl = off # (change requires restart)
#password_encryption = on
#db_user_namespace = off

# Kerberos
#krb_server_keyfile = '' # (change requires restart)
#krb_srvname = 'postgres' # (change requires restart)
#krb_server_hostname = '' # empty string matches any keytab entry
# (change requires restart)
#krb_caseins_users = off # (change requires restart)

# - TCP Keepalives -
# see 'man 7 tcp' for details

#tcp_keepalives_idle = 0 # TCP_KEEPIDLE, in seconds;
# 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_interval = 0 # TCP_KEEPINTVL, in seconds;
# 0 selects the system default
#tcp_keepalives_count = 0 # TCP_KEEPCNT;
# 0 selects the system default