preventing ALTER TABLE RENAME from changing view definitions?

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: preventing ALTER TABLE RENAME from changing view definitions?
Date: 2007-02-26 23:13:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Currently "ALTER TABLE ... RENAME TO ..." results in all views that
refer to the table to be rewritten with the new table name. This is a
good thing in the general case, but there are also situations where it
is not (e.g. temporarily renaming tables for data reorg reasons). I
can't seem to find a clean way to only rename the table without causing
change to the view. The ONLY keyword does not work in this case.
Anything I am missing (short of re-creating all views). I am on 8.1.

test=> create table a (col int);
CREATE TABLE
test=> create view v_a as select col from a;
CREATE VIEW
test=> \d v_a
View "public.v_a"
Column | Type | Modifiers