Open Source Database Wiz (San Francisco, CA, USA)

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Open Source Database Wiz (San Francisco, CA, USA)
Date: 2008-07-07 17:03:28
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Open Source Database Wiz

Immediate opening for a regular, full-time employee or contract-to-hire
-- principals ONLY, no agencies, recruiters, or outsourcing firms
please.

MyNewPlace.com is growing...

...and our databases are feeling the pain. If you are passionate about
databases, addicted to SQL, and want a chance become a Postgres guru,
then we have an excellent opportunity for you. You'll work with an
exceptional team, have a pivotal role in scaling our operations, and
will have a chance to contribute significantly to the continuing growth
of our business.

Position:

The Database Wiz (OK, we'll get you a more formal title than that) will
participate in all aspects of database development, maintenance, tuning,
optimization, and generally advance the state of the Postgres databases
that power MyNewPlace.com and related sites. Your specific skills and
interests will help shape the position, but expect the range of
activities to be broad. One week you may collaborate with the IT team to
implement and refine operational processes like local and remote
replication, backup, failover, etc., establish optimal hardware and
database tuning profiles, and monitor overall database health and
performance and then the next week you may find yourself working with
the Development team on database design and schema changes, contributing
to performance initiatives like table partitioning, and performing query
optimization.

What we're looking for:

If you're the kind of fast learner who's been around web technology for
a few years, bootstrapped yourself on a few databases (hopefully at
least one big commercial one and one open source one) and are hungry for
more, then we want to talk to you. Sure we'd love a few years in the
high volume consumer web world, and some good Linux/UNIX chops will come
in handy, but most of all we need smart, passionate, folks who are
relentless when it comes to the quality and accuracy of their work.

Primary Role and Responsibilities:

* Participate in database design for new features/functionality;
* Implement schema changes;
* SQL and PL/pgSQL coding;
* Query analysis and optimization;
* Data import and data migration;
* Ad-hoc reporting queries; and
* Develop, refine and monitor recurring database jobs/scripts;

A couple of must haves:

* Good interpersonal and communication skills, including excellent
spoken and written English; and
* Proof of eligibility to work in the United States.

As with any startup, you will be expected to work hard and function well
in a team environment. Communication skills are essential to success in
this position given the fast pace of our work and the need to quickly
and effectively communicate and resolve technical issues.

Company:

MyNewPlace.com is almost 3 years old and we are now one of the top
nationwide apartment search sites on the web, serving millions of
apartment searches each month. We were founded by industry veterans with
a history of successful technology startups and have brought together a
great team of talented individuals. MyNewPlace is located in downtown
San Francisco.

Compensation:

Competitive base salary and generous stock options with the potential
for significant equity upside.

Contact:

Principals ONLY, no agencies, recruiters, or outsourcing firms please.
Please email cover letter and resume with salary requirements to Leslie
Chung at LChung(at)mynewplace(dot)com