Database/Reporting/OLAP Engineer in San Francisco, CA

From: "George Pavlov" <gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Database/Reporting/OLAP Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Date: 2008-01-11 01:04:05
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Database/Reporting/OLAP Engineer

(Immediate opening for a regular, full-time position--no agencies,
recruiters, or outsourcing firms please!)

We are looking for a person to add to our database/reporting function.
We are a growing Internet startup in the apartment rental industry--see
http://www.mynewplace.com. The company is very much managed "by the
numbers" and therefore we have a very high demand for detailed,
high-quality, and often very dynamic reporting.

The scope of the position is somewhat broad. We are looking for the
right person who can grow and take over various responsibilities as the
need arises, rather than perform a specific set of tasks. Although we
would very much like a more experienced hire who can help with various
design aspects (especially on the OLAP side), we are open to junior
candidates provided they have the will and capability to learn and the
required attributes below.

Required attributes:

* attention to detail;
* ability to take over and "own" her/his projects;
* self-motivation with a strong work ethic;
* inquisitiveness, ability to seek out and resolve problems
preemptively;
* strong math skills and a general affinity for numbers, set theory;
* excellent written and oral communication skills;
* Linux/UNIX proficiency;
* minimum 2 years of direct SQL and stored procedure experience with an
enterprise RDBMS;
* proof of eligibility to work in the United States.

Some (or all!) of the following technical skills and experience. Please
do not apply if you don't have at least 2-3 of the following and are
able to address that in your cover letter:

* data warehousing and ETL, OLAP data store design and maintenance;
* superior SQL/stored function/procedure skills;
* query optimization, performance tuning;
* PostgreSQL, and/or experience with multiple RDBMS products;
* DBA experience, in particular replication, partitioning, high
availability;
* familiarity with OLAP reporting solutions, preferrably open-source
ones (Mondrian/Pentaho/JasperSoft);
* configuration, maintenance, delivery of reporting using other
solutions (Crystal Reports, MS Excel as a database frontend);
* some statistics background, including experience with statistics
packages/languages (such as R);
* awareness of and interest in visual presentation of data;
* XML transformations: XSLT/Xpath.

MyNewPlace.com is a pay for performance Internet Listing Service (ILS)
founded by members of the former senior management team of
AllApartments/SpringStreet, the leading apartment search service on the
internet before it was sold to HomeStore in July of 1999. The service is
designed to assist apartment property owners in leasing their apartment
buildings to tenants who can search for and compare available rentals on
its web site. Prospective tenants are able to access the site free of
charge via the Internet, and are eligible to earn a rebate when they
rent from properties that pay an advertising fee to MyNewPlace.
MyNewPlace is located in downtown San Francisco.

We offer a competitive base salary, generous benefits package and may
include stock options with the potential for significant equity upside.
Please submit salary requirements.

Principals ONLY, no agencies, recruiters, or outsourcing firms please.
Please email a cover letter (addressing the above requirements), a
resume and salary requirements to gpavlov(at)mynewplace(dot)com(dot)