PostgreSQL DBA - Full-Time in CA

From: Beth <beth(at)redfishtech(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL DBA - Full-Time in CA
Date: 2009-12-04 14:27:07
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Hello -

I am a recruiter working with the CTO of a CA based company that is looking to add a key member to his team. The company I am working with is doing great - privately held, profitable and the leader in online discovery. The location for this role is San Mateo, CA. If any of your members are interested, please have them contact me.

PostgreSQL Database Administrator Job Description:

We are a fast growing company backed by top-tier venture capital, and pioneering the new category discovery as an on-line service. As a result of our rapid growth, we are looking for talented individuals to join and help grow our world-operations team.

Your responsibilities will focus on service delivery: designing, implementing, and maintaining a best-in-class infrastructure with strict availability and performance requirements. You'll be expected to work across functional boundaries, contribute to process development, and participate in an on-call rotation.

The most important job requirement is the ability, experience, and desire to provide a computationally intensive service, non-stop. Your troubleshooting skills should be top-notch, and your communication skills should be strong. We'd like to see experience in at least a few key areas: performance analysis, advanced storage systems, network engineering, and infrastructure/support systems.

Responsibilities:

- Rotating 24x7 On-call

- Develop high performance relational databases to store content, user personalization information, and billing/tracking data, etc.

-Develop and implement maintenance and administration procedures for the database systems.

- Ensure that backups are performed regularly on all databases.

- Work closely with software engineers to develop and maintain stored procedures, compiled SQL, etc. Ensure that data access methods, database kernel patches, APIs, etc. are kept current.

- Develop a system for gathering database performance metrics. Using these metrics, develop a plan to ensure that database systems are correctly configured for optimal performance. Manage and/or participate in implementation of database system tuning, to ensure optimal performance.

- Ensure that database systems are adequately monitored. Develop and implement a plan to ensure maximum reliability and availability of database systems. Proactively monitor database system status to determine early warning signs of problems.

- Author and maintain scripts to perform various aspects of administration. The DBA will document these scripts and maintain them in the source repository.

Requirements:

- 5 years experience as a DBA

- 3 years experience of Postgres administration and tuning in a Linux environment

- Must have strong knowledge of data relationships, data normalization

- SQL, Perl, python, ruby, bash, C or other scripting experience

- Understanding of LVM, SAN and RAID

- Cacti, Nagios, or other monitoring and metrics tools

- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to a fast paced growing and evolving service delivery system

-Ability to manage projects through their entire life cycle

-Excellent communication skills

Candidate must be able to troubleshoot and resolve network, application, and systems issues expediently. Candidates must be flexible to work rotating shifts in a 24 x 7 environment. Candidate must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Occasional visits to our local data center will be needed, so transportation is a necessity.

Thanks,

Beth Cliff
Executive Recruiter
Redfish Technology