Re: unhelpful error message

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unhelpful error message
Date: 2009-06-18 16:00:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>> Per the fine manual, sp.count is another way of writing count(sp).

> Wow, that seems a horrid kludge. Is the standard responsible for that
> one, or is it a PostgreSQL extension?

Actually, we inherited that from PostQUEL. It's not in the standard.

> Could you point me at where in the fine manual this is covered?

Look under "computed fields" in the index ... looks like it's towards
the bottom of 34.4.2 in the 8.3 docs.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/xfunc-sql.html#AEN40267

I had thought it was mentioned somewhere in chapter 4 as well, but
am not seeing it there right now.