Re: formatting timestamptz for more precision?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher(dot)Becker(at)apcc(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: formatting timestamptz for more precision?
Date: 2004-06-22 01:48:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Christopher(dot)Becker(at)apcc(dot)com writes:
>> From what I've read, Postgres stores plenty of precision to contain
> milliseconds. My question is, how do I see the milliseconds? Just doing a
> select on a timestamptz column just gives me hh:mm:ss... but i'm looking
> for something more like hh:mm:ss.ms.

Well, you can't see precision that isn't there. How are you inserting
data?

The only way the column itself would be throwing away low-order digits
is if you declared it to, with a declaration like "timestamp(0)".
Example:

regression=# create table foo(f1 timestamptz);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into foo values(now());
INSERT 155060 1
regression=# select * from foo;
f1
-------------------------------
2004-06-21 21:44:47.344823-04
(1 row)

regression=# create table bar (f1 timestamp(0) with time zone);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into bar values(now());
INSERT 155063 1
regression=# select * from bar;
f1
2004-06-21 21:46:36-04