Export and import from one postgres server to another

From: Alexander Reichstadt <info(at)apfeltaste(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Export and import from one postgres server to another
Date: 2012-05-28 18:27:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am trying to "simply" export my postgres database from one server and then import it into another. I thought I could use PhpPgAdmin, but the hints on the web don't seem to work. One said to simply get a dump from one phpPgAdmin, the go to the other server, select the database, click the SQL button and then select the dump file. When I do this the import fails because the dump file begins with a \connect statement. The escape char doesn't seem to go through the web frontend or something. But without the connect statement it ends up telling me no database selected. Please, can someone let me know how to do this?

Thanks
Alex