Re: Automatically force zero_damaged_pages while InRecovery?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Automatically force zero_damaged_pages while InRecovery?
Date: 2003-11-29 19:55:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> Yes, but is the error message going to stay verbatim? Maybe the
> category could be decreased ...

The patch I proposed would still cause a WARNING to come out in the
postmaster log. We could perhaps reduce it to a NOTICE if InRecovery
is true, or have InRecovery add a DETAIL pointing out that this should
be no problem (though the latter behavior couldn't be back-ported to
7.3 very readily). We'd not want to change the message wording in the
7.4 branch either.

I think this is all a bit academic though, compared to the basic point
of not failing ;-). In practice, any recovery from WAL is going to
produce a bunch of scary-looking messages in the postmaster log.
We're not likely to remove those messages, since they provide
potentially critical debugging info if it fails to work. I'm not that
concerned about making them less scary-looking ...