Re: too many clients

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
Cc: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: too many clients
Date: 2004-12-30 05:20:37
Lists: pgsql-php

"Gavin M. Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net> writes:

> I use it on a few very high traffic sites without issue, but it is tuned so
> that there is only 1 persistant connection per apache backend and postgresql
> will allow the max apache backends, which by default is generally 256. I
> highly recommend it in such a situation, while I generally do not recommend
> it in any other.

That doesn't sound reasonable. Does your machine really have so many
processors or i/o bandwidth that 256 postgres processes can really all make
progress?

Or do you have images and static html on the same web server? If so I suggest
moving them to another web server. No need to have a postgres instance (and a
php instance) sitting idle consuming memory waiting until someone happens to
hit a dynamic page.

--
greg