Re: [HACKERS] Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-30 22:51:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:

> The fact that it's wrapped is not a new format in itself, just a property of
> the aligned format.

Well I agree I just don't see any benefit to presenting it that way. I mean,
sure "wrapped" means "aligned and wrapped", but it's just shorthand notation
anyways.

In fact, it seems the only reason to separate the two like you're describing
would be if it *were* possible to have a wrapped html. Then your notation
could handle things "\pset format wrapped" couldn't:

\pset format html:autowrap

But I think we agree that isn't happening so why spell it "aligned:autowrap"
instead of just "wrap"?

--
Gregory Stark