proposal: pg_restore --convert-to-text

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: proposal: pg_restore --convert-to-text
Date: 2019-02-13 22:56:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

One of the remarkably common user errors with pg_restore is users
leaving off the -d option. (We get cases of it regularly on the IRC
channel, including one just now which prompted me to finally propose
this)

I propose we add a new option: --convert-to-text or some such name, and
then make pg_restore throw a usage error if neither -d nor the new
option is given.

Opinions?

(Yes, it will break the scripts of anyone who is currently scripting
pg_restore to output SQL text. How many people do that?)

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)