Re: FETCH FIRST clause WITH TIES option

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FETCH FIRST clause WITH TIES option
Date: 2019-11-29 05:19:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro> First, I noticed that there's a significant unanswered issue
Alvaro> from Andrew Gierth about this using a completely different
Alvaro> mechanism, namely an implicit window function. Robert was
Alvaro> concerned about the performance of Andrew's proposed approach,
Alvaro> but I don't see any reply from Surafel on the whole issue.

Alvaro> Andrew: Would you rather not have this feature in this form at
Alvaro> all?

I have done a proof-of-concept hack for my alternative approach, which I
will post in another thread so as not to confuse the cfbot.

The main advantage, as I see it, of a window function approach is that
it can also work for PERCENT with only a change to the generated
expression; the executor part of the code can handle any stopping
condition. It can also be generalized (though the POC does not do this)
to allow an SQL-level extension, something like "LIMIT WHEN condition"
to indicate that it should stop just before the first row for which the
condition is true. Whether this is a desirable feature or not is another
question.

--
Andrew.