Re: TODO item

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item
Date: 2009-03-28 15:45:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> 1) select ... from foo, unnest(foo.bar); -- UNNEST is implicitly LATERAL
[...]
>> It's point (1) that's the killer - without it, unnest() is just a
>> trivial shorthand for stuff that can be done anyway; it doesn't
>> actually add any functionality.

Bruce> OK, so what should the TODO wording be?

Under "SQL Commands":

* implement LATERAL (and corresponding UNNEST functionality)

(LATERAL is, I suspect, a fairly big project because of the amount of
planner work involved, but it's also a fairly high-value project
because (a) it's useful (we usually get a couple of cases every week
on the IRC chan where people ask "how do I do X", where X would be
trivial with LATERAL but requires complex and often inefficient SQL
without it), and (b) it potentially presents optimization
opportunities even for queries that don't use it.)

--
Andrew.