Re: replication with table add/removes..

From: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replication with table add/removes..
Date: 2008-10-08 16:47:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

martinbadie(at)yahoo(dot)com (Martin Badie) writes:
> Hi, I have a system that have constant table adds/removes are
> present. I want to make a replication between master and slaves but
> not sure which one is the best solution for that kind of a
> situation. Since I am new to replication stuff on postgresql I am
> truly lost but I know that Slony is not an answer for replications
> where table add/remove are present. Best Regards.

The only way that is at all supportable right now in that regard is to use PITR:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/continuous-archiving.html

That does NOT allow you to query the backup nodes; in order to do so,
you must activate them, which amounts to failing over to the backup
node.

If your system doesn't have a stable schema, that seems like a
problem...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'linuxfinances.info';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/wp.html