Re: Moving to pgfoundry

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving to pgfoundry
Date: 2006-09-07 01:55:01
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

The world rejoiced as pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com (Dave Cramer) wrote:
> On 6-Sep-06, at 5:14 PM, Oliver Jowett wrote:
>
>> Dave Cramer wrote:

>>> The question is do we want to retain CVS history ? If not this is
>>> trivial. If so; not so trivial.
>>
>> We would need to retain the CVS branches we have, and we'd need
>> *access* to CVS history even if it's not actually live in the
>> repository that we use.
>>
>> What's the issue with preserving history?
>
> The two machines are physically different, so consider this moving
> the repository. My recollection is that you have to physically move
> the entire repository; is there another way ?
>
> I don't think we can count on having the history available on gborg,
> they're planning on pulling the plug.

If the recovery goes OK, it *ought* to be possible to copy the CVS
repository as set of files from old server to new server.

We're hoping for that for Slony-I; we'd certainly like to be able to
preserve that old history.

I'm hearing mixed reviews as to the merits of pgFoundry as an
alternative; apparently it's already somewhat overloaded, so that some
of the admins are concerned about adding more to it. There's some new
hardware (an AMD-64 box of some sort), but it hasn't been fully tested
out yet.

On the Slony-I side, we're talking over some other options than
pgFoundry; JDBC seems important enough that I would urge making sure
you maintain remote backups of CVS whatever your direction is.

One failure: Shame on them; if it falls over again, and there aren't
good backups, *that* gets embarrassing...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lsf.html